Adding New Languages to WebminNew translations of the existing core Webmin modules are always welcome. If you want to translate Webmin into a new language or update one of the existing translations, follow these steps :
- Get the latest development
version of Webmin so that you can see the latest translations that
have been done by other people.
- In the file lang_list.txt in the Webmin root directory, add a new
line for your language like :
The lang= part defines the short code for the language, and should follow the ISO standard where possible. The titles= part controls whether Webmin should use letter images for displaying page titles in the language, and should be set to 1 if your language uses european characters. The optional charset= part sets the character set that is sent to the web browser when using the language, so that is can automatically select the right font to use.
- Switch to your new language in the Webmin Configuration module under
the Language icon.
- In the directory lang under the Webmin root and in each of the
lang subdirectories under the module directories, create a new
file called sw (or whatever the short code for your language is)
that is a translation of the en file in the same directory.
- In each of the module.info files under the module directories,
add a new desc_sw= line that is a translation of the desc= line.
- In each of the module directories, create a new file called
config.info.sw which is a translation of config.info
(if it exists).
- In the help subdirectory under each of the module directories
(where they exist), translate all of the something.html
files into something.sw.html.
You don't have to finish translating the entire of Webmin for your translation to be useful. Many people just do a few modules at a time, or skip the help pages initially.
When your translation has made some progress, send a .tar.gz file of
all the translated files to Martin Mewes at firstname.lastname@example.org so that he can include it in the
main Webmin distribution. The best way to tar up everything is with the
tar czf /tmp/translation.tar.gz */lang/sw lang/sw */module.info */config.info.sw */help/*.sw.html
Translators may also find the follow programs usedful :
- wbmtranslator, a Webmin module to assist translators by Emmanuel Saracco.
- missing-strings, a program for displaying strings in a language translation that have not been translated from english yet.
- wmtranschk, a program for finding untranslated strings.